Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reflection: My Personality Traits Test Result

My reflection:

I am very fond of taking different personality test and traits test via online and / or in books and magazines. I took these kind tests not only because it is fun but also I wanted to fully understand myself. A while ago, I took the Personality traits test together with the Evening students because we were not able to take the exam with the day class. This test also serves as our preliminary examination.
For each item on the test, two opposite scenarios were given and we have to choose which scenario or situation would likely describe you best. As far as I could remember, in most of the items in that particular test, the options that we have to choose were to gain money and improve ourselves or to gain friends and improve our personal relationship with them. I wanted to gain more money and at the same time, gain more friends. But in this situation, I really have to choose between the two. It was hard to choose between the two options, because they both give equal impact for a technopreneur.
At first, my reason for taking the Personality Traits test was because it is required since it serves as our preliminary examination and it is needed to answer the assignment given by our facilitator. The personality traits test, as what Mr. Randy said, is part of our self mastery. After that, I have realized that taking the Personal traits test is very important. Since knowing oneself first will help us improve ourselves as a technopreneur.
The Personality Traits Test attempts to establish your personality profile as a technopreneur based on the tendencies that guide your behavior and relationships with others. But prior to the examination, Mr. Randy told us to answer the Personality test HONESTLY. If we fail to answer it honestly, then it would only mean that we are fooling others and most especially ourselves.
How you see yourself and how others see you may be quite different. A personality trait test is a test that was designed to tell us what type of a person we are, and often tells us what the advantages and disadvantages of our personality is. It aims to describe the aspects of a person's character that remain stable throughout that person's lifetime, the individual's character pattern of behavior, thoughts, and feelings. In addition, a personality trait test will also tell you personality types to avoid, which is useful for dating purposes. Understanding personality is also the key to unlocking elusive human qualities, for example leadership, motivation, and empathy, whether your purpose is self-development, helping others, or any other field relating to people and how we behave.
Understanding personality - of your self and others - is central to motivation. Different people have different strengths and needs. You do too. The more you understand about personality, the better able you are to judge what motivates people - and yourself. The more you understand about your own personality and that of other people, the better able you are to realize how others perceive you, and how they react to your own personality and style. The idea of taking the Personality traits test is to expose fixed and conditioned ways of thinking, feeling and behaving. This does not indicate that any particular way is right or better than another.
Personality tests can be hugely beneficial in improving knowledge of self and other people. It helps us pinpoint and eliminate our weak points. It could also help improve our motivations, strength, preferred thinking and working styles, and also strengths and preferred styles for communications, learning, management, being managed, and team-working. The idea is to expose fixed and conditioned ways of thinking, feeling and behaving, not to indicate that any particular way is right or better than another. The questions can expose ways in which we are a stereotyped product of your culture, more liberated than the norm or more neurotic than the norm, or just different. The interpretation is up to us, the more we answer the items honestly the better.
I have answered each item honestly. I chose the option which I think was right or what would make me happy. The examination was quite easy since we do not need to study technopreneurship or general knowledge to answer the thirty two item Personality traits test. The Personality traits test was not like the other test that I have taken before. Not like the Intelligence Quotient test or the Emotional Quotient test or the Adversity Quotient test because each item has only two options and there was no specific situation on which one must have to decide which path one wants to take. We only have to rely on our first impression and go at our own pace. After answering all the thirty two items in the Personality traits test, Mr. Randy gave us the chance to check our own papers. He showed us how to score each item. The scoring in each item were only zero, one, or two. Since the exam does not need any background of any technopreneurial knowledge or any general knowledge for as long as one knows what he or she wanted, therefore, nobody will fail in the preliminary exam in Technopreneurship!(Hurray!)
I scored forty one in the personality traits test. This corresponds to the description of “Somewhat Technopreneurial”. I got shocked with the result because until now, I am still on the stage of looking for myself. What do I love to do? What do I want to do with my life? What is my purpose of living? I wanted to believe that being a technopreneur will be my future career path. Considering that there are more pros than cons in taking technopreneurship as a career gives me more inspiration and motivation to take the same career path as those successful people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates took. But, the problem is, is this what I really wanted to do? I do not want to be successful in something I do not have any interest because in the end, I would not find the happiness or satisfaction with the things that I do. Maybe there are other things that could help me decide what I really wanted to do with my life that this personality traits test cannot give.
Taking any kind of personality test or personality traits test, or even the “ Big Five ” personality traits test will not give us a hundred percent of assurance that they will give a very accurate and precise result and description of our own personality. Because these kind of tests only attempts or tries to describe the personality the one who takes the test with the aid of the theories and researches of the psychologists. We are the right person to settle moral issues. However, following statements are admitted facts according to what I have researched with the aid of the internet and Google:
1.) Personality Tests or any test that tries to describe the personality of the ones who take these tests are not perfect tools to analyze all your personality. Even the most reliable companies agree that they fail in 30% cases to find out the right personalities for right jobs.
2.) The well prepared candidates are getting better ‘scoring’ and more chances to be selected for a particular job.
3.) The personality is still a vague psychological concept. Since our personality is gradually changing, given that perhaps half our personality is determined by influences acting upon us after we are conceived and born, it's interesting and significant also that no-one actually knows the extent to which personality changes over time. Therefore, nobody has the power to neither describe nor define our personality. Only God can only define and describe our personality since He is our creator.
3.) The personality may be a unity but you continue to develop your traits throughout your life. If you are introvert, proper information and practice can make you introvert. And...
4.) No career personality test or personality traits tests can measure your all out personality traits.
We must not take the results as if this was the real you. I do not have doubts with the result, but I have doubts with how they constructed the test to describe our personality as a technopreneur. No personality traits test is not nearly powerful in predicting and explaining the actual behavior of the test taker. As what has been stated above, our personalities are still a vague psychological concept. The test result does not give us our future career as if the test was a soothsayer. It only serves as a guideline. Perhaps we might learn some lessons, decide to do something about what you find, or be happy you are the way you are. Therefore, we must not rely on the results of the test nor take it negatively.
There are more things to consider than relying solely on the results of the test. We all believe that “ actions speak louder than words ” , while taking the exam, we might have been too pretentious and playing safe that makes the result more inaccurate. Or the solemnity of the place, while taking the exam, I find it hard to concentrate in answering because the other students were reading loudly the options of each item. While we were taking the exam, I was never bothered by the time pressure.
The test also shows our weak points as a technopreneur, as a person, and in handling our relationship with others. Therefore, we must do something to enhance and improve our personalities to be a better person. With a result of “ Somewhat technopreneurial ”, therefore shows that there are still flaws in my personality as a technopreneur. As of now, I could see that I am not a very competent candidate as a technopreneur. At least there are still rooms for improvement. Although improving thyself to be a good technopreneur might take more time and more efforts might be sacrificed, but the important things are the experiences and the lessons that I will learn while trying to improve.
The options in each test items were just an example of some scenario that we will be experiencing in the near future as a promising technopreneur. There are still a lot of undesirable situations that we might experience in the real world. All we need to do is to prepare ourselves for the worst and enjoy the things that we are experiencing and going to experience in the future.
After taking the Personality traits test, I have realized that there are a lot of things where we need to make decisions, the scenario may seem very simple but the consequences that lie behind it might complicate a situation. For example, if we have to choose between improving yourself or your own happiness. Which is more important? How would it affect me or the people that surrounds me? Even though the consequences were not given in the test, I was always thinking about it while answering each item. I was trying to understand what was more important to me:
- having fun or taking life seriously?
- Work or my social life?
I answered each item honestly and I wanted both options but as they say, there is no such thing is neutral. Most of my answers might not be the right thing to do but at least it was what I wanted to do. Not all things that we wanted to do are also the right thing. In the real world, making wrong decisions will lead us to our sweetest downfall. Therefore, we must think twice or several times before making any decisions.
I find it very fun taking this test even though I was not able to get a very high score. For me, the test result does not matter anymore because but what is more important is that I was able to understand myself not by the results of the test, but by how I answered the test.
Reference:
http://www.personality-and-aptitude-career-tests.com/personality-career-tests.html

1 comment:

  1. http://technocling.blogspot.com/2010/10/personal-traits-test.html

    I read similar one there, but since this is your input I supposed you made your point. Great read and insights. I am gonna try taking the test myself and see where it leads me!

    http://infopier.sg

    ReplyDelete